Will you be teaching a “holiday” or “Christmas” ride this year in your indoor cycling class? Does your club take a stance on whether you are allowed to play “Christmasy” or other types of holiday songs in your classes? Since there are often debates on the political correctness of “Christmas”, I’d love your input on a few questions I have.(This is a rewrite of article I posted last year at my other site. I’ve edited it a bit for this year.)
Thanksgiving is the typical beginning of the holiday season here in the US so we are well into the season right now. And as we move into the Christmas (or holiday) season, I have a few questions for you to ponder. I would love your input – please leave a comment below.
- Have you ever done a Christmas or Holiday Spinning® or indoor cycling class?
- Are you planning on doing a Christmas or Holiday ride in your Spinning® or IC class this year?
- Has your club done any other holiday theme party or event that included indoor cycling and/or other group fitness classes (such as a contest, as a means to keep members coming during the holidays)?
- Are you looking for holiday theme song ideas?
- Does you club take a stance on whether you are allowed to play “Christmas” or other holiday songs in your classes? Or do you just make the decision for yourself? Do you feel like you have to ask your students if they mind?
- Does your club put up Christmas decorations?
- If so, do they include decorations from a variety of religious beliefs, or do they try to keep it secular? (I guess any “Christmas” decoration can be considered religious by some, although it now seems like society views it mostly as secular if it doesn’t contain obvious Christian references like a creche or angels.)
- Do your members welcome holiday references? Or do they complain about them?
Last year there was a rather fierce debate going on in one of the indoor cycling forums about whether playing “holiday” songs is appropriate or not. I have my opinion, and I’ll give you my own view later this week when I post some holiday songs, but I’m interested to know what you guys think or if your club takes a stance on the subject. It comes up every year on the network televisions, but it seems to be even more divisive this year with certain television news shows complaining loudly about official “Holiday Tree Lighting” ceremonies instead of “Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremonies”.
It just seems so silly to me…
I’m actually curious if other countries have as much debate about the “political correctness” of Christmas, and if this debate seeps into the club environment or your Spinning® room. If you are from another country, make sure to add your voice to the conversation!